Saturday, April 19, 2014

Easter Banana Bread

I've been on a Banana Bread kick for a while.  I make a couple of loaves a week.  Why?  Mainly because my Lyric loves it.  He calls it Banana Cake.

I had no intention of making any this week, but I bought a bunch of bananas and they were going bad....I can't throw them away!  So I made a double batch of Banana Bread this morning.

I wanted to share the recipe.  I have tried other recipes, but they seem to come out dry.  This recipe is one my mother has used for as long as I can remember.  It is simple, easy to whip up and not healthy at all!!

I used to make small loaves of this bread at the first church we Pastored in Glen Ellyn, IL.  If visitors came to service, this was their welcome gift.  Wow....I used to be a good Pastor's Wife!!

 
BANANA BREAD
 
1/2 c. Shortening
2 c. Flour
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Eggs
2 or 3 Smashed up VERY ripe Bananas (I always use 3)
 
Mix ingredients well in the order as listed above.
Bake in large loaf pan for 60 minutes at 375 degrees.
(I use two medium loaf pans.....or 4 of the very small pans,
then check it at 35 minutes and may cook as long as 45 minutes)
I spray my pans with cooking spray
The crust will be crunchy and the inside moist!
 
 
I find it odd that you don't cream the Shortening and Sugar, add wet and then flour at the end.....but I have always followed my old hand written recipe....so, I am not sure if it would turn out different.  But I mix in the order as listed....the batter gets very stiff before adding the eggs and bananas.  I use my kitchen aid mixer, but I used to do it by hand in a large bowl.....because that is how my Mom did it.
ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment